I’m a sucker for a good lipstick. Reds, pinks, nudes – I love them all! Especially when I have little time to apply full makeup, lipstick can make me feel instantly glamorized. The only downside is the longevity of lipstick. I feel like I’m constantly reapplying it or wiping my teeth in fear the product will be all over.
I’ve been on the search for a good liquid lipstick/stain for months now. This summer before my baby shower, I was browsing the aisles at Sephora. $200 later I had a whole bunch of new product including Sephora’s name brand matte lipstick. I loved it! I was instantly hooked. The only downside is their availibility of colors. I think they only have a handful. I needed another product to fill my matte lipstick void.
I had seen Kylie Jenner promoting her liquid lipstick on social media for months and decided to take the plunge. I’m not one who is keen on trying something that “everyone else has” but her product honestly looked great. I ordered my first color – Dolce K – and waited about a week for it to arrive to my home. The color isn’t my favorite – I honestly got it because it was one of the only colors that wasn’t sold out. The formula on the other hand seemed magical! Once applied, the color lasted for hours and only a little came off during eating and drinking.
A few more weeks later, I received an email from the Kylie Jenner Cosmetics marketing team alerting me that a bunch of colors were going back in stock. I ended up purchasing 3 more colors and their coordinating lip liners. These are what she calls her “lip kits”.
Colors I have:
In total I’ve purchased 4 colors –
Posie K is definitely my favorite, but that’s because it’s a pink shade and I’m used to wearing pink. Leo is my least favorite since it’s a super deep red/brownish shade. I think it would look fantastic on someone with brown hair!
- I love the long lasting wear of the colors. They rarely come off and definitely don’t transfer. I’ve kissed my hubby and baby tons and the product stays on my lips! That’s definitely a win-win for all of us.
- A little bit of product goes a long way! Seriously, I’ll put the lightest layer of the liquid lipstick on my lips, press my lips together to blend and my lips look super rich in color. I feel like I’ll have each of the lipstick tubes for a long time.
- The packaging is adorable. They come in a plain black box and once you open the package up there’s really cool artwork inside. Just a little added bonus.
- The lip liners are everything. I feel like a lot of lip liners are dry and once applied look jagged. These are completely opposite. They have a consistency of a hydrating lipstick and glide on like butter.
- The price point. Each of the lip kits that I purchased were $29. It’s not that big of a deal but the price is worth mentioning, especially if you’ve never purchased a name brand makeup item. I feel like her lip kit is in line with what you’ll find at Ulta and Sephora, but obviously much higher than what you would find at a Walgreens or Target.
- Availibility. For months, all I heard about on social media regarding the Kylie Jenner lipkits were how hard they were to purchase due to the fact that they were selling out in mere minutes. I noticed the same thing when I made my first purchase but it seems over the last few weeks the availability has been increasing. Still, you will see some sold out products.
- Dryness. This is the only actual main concern about the formula of the product. Although I love the wearability and colors – the formula is very drying… at least on my lips. They feel pretty dry and gritty after about 10 minutes. I found an amazing product to help – Farsali Rose Gold Elixir. It’s an oil you can use for tons of makeup benefits including to help prime your lips. Watch my YouTube video below to hear more about the product. Still, even with the oil I feel like they are more dry than what I was expecting.
Overall, I think this is a product worth trying – especially if you are a lipstick lover like I am. I think that the long lasting wear and versatilities of colors overweigh the cost and dryness of the product. Although, if you have tried a matte lipstick that is super hydrating I would love to hear in the comments below! I am always on the hunt for my next favorite product.