This girl is SUPER excited today! I will be traveling for the next 12 days with my fabulous Mother-in-law through the UK. We are visiting my Sister-in-law who is a professional figure skater. She’s currently performing in a show in Blackpool, which I guess is like the Vegas of the UK. Anyway, we’ll be in Blackpool for about a week before we travel up north to Scotland for a few days.
I have plenty of layers packed, workout bands to stay active, and a whole bunch of snacks to help me survive airport traveling. Yep – I packed my own food. I don’t always do this as I have a really good sense of hunting down healthy options at airports, but since I’ll be traveling for about 13 hours, I didn’t want to have a breakdown and stuff my face with who-knows-what. I want to share with you guys some of the snacks I am bringing with so you can see how easy it is to stay on track, too.
Snacks that I am bringing:
1. Popcorn (Brand: Skinny Pop)
2. Travel container of hummus (Brand: Earls)
3. Travel container of guacamole (Brand: Earls)
5. Fresh cut veggies
6. Single pouches of almond butter (Brand: Justins)
7. Raw almonds
8. Protein Bars (Brand: Think Thin and Quest)
9. A few scoops of protein powder (Brand: Chocolate Meathead)
10. Chia seeds (Brand: Spectrum)
11. Deli turkey slices
12. Sweet Potato crackers (Brand: Brad’s Raw Chips)
13. Pretzel Crisps (Brand: Snack Factory)
14. Water bottle
Items I’ll pick up from the airport:
1. Hardboiled eggs
2. 0% fat plain greek yogurt (Brand: Chobani)
As you can tell, I have lots of options to choose from. So, my thought is that I will use the fresh veggies with the hummus, pair the deli slices with the guacamole and some sweet potato crackers, mix the protein powder in the yogurt with some chia seeds, much on the protein bar with a handful of blueberries and almonds, and top the pretzel crisps with the almond butter. I think that will give me a really healthy variety of fruits, veggies, proteins, healthy carbs, and healthy fats.
The only other time I’ve been to Europe is when me and Nick flew to Italy. The flight we took served us 3 full meals. I have to admit, they were actually REALLY tasty – BUT… knowing that I will be traveling for 12 days I want to get my diet off to a good start. I might indulge in one airplane meal – but most likely I’ll be just fine with the food I bring aboard.
A few tips:
1. YES, you can bring food through security. Any dips or liquid items have to follow the normal size protocol.
2. Bring frozen ice packs to keep any perishable items cold.
3. Bring your own empty water bottle and fill it up before you head on the plane so you can stay hydrated through your flight.
4. Bring only enough food for the flight if you are traveling internationally as they will likely not let you bring your food in the country if it is not frozen.
5. If you don’t have time to pack snacks, there are PLENTY of healthy options at airports. Head to one of the souvenir markets and go to their cooler section. You’ll be able to find all sorts of items like hardboiled eggs, wraps, yogurts, fresh fruit and veggies, hummus, and a lot more.
6. If you want to actually “order” at a restaurant, stick to your goals and don’t just throw them out the window because you are traveling. Make healthy decisions no matter where you are!
7. Protein powder is a SUPER easy way to add in some calories and protein t0 your day without taking up much space.
Alrighty – I’ll be taking plenty of pictures and videos while in the UK to share with you when I get home. Comment below with some of your go-to snacks while you travel OR comment if you think you’ll try these on your next trip.