My 6 month old son, Lincoln, just recently started on some simple solid foods. First sweet potatoes, then bananas, baby oatmeal, avocado, pears – he loved them all! I figured since he was such a good eater I would try some spinach and peas. Let me tell you a little bit of my healthy loving heart shattered when he started instantly gagging (it was also pretty comical). Needless to say I have to wait a few more weeks before trying again.
When I told my mom that Lincoln likely isn’t going to be a green eating monster she told me I was the EXACT same way as a baby! Who? Me? I am obsessed with veggies! There honestly isn’t a veggie that I do not like. That conversation made me feel instantly better – there’s hope yet!
That got me thinking – how many other people deal with fussy kids, husbands, or family members when dealing with veggies? I know that some of the women who I used to train also had a roadblock with eating their greens. I think that people get too hung up on “eating healthy” that they forget that they can get creative with their veggies, too. You don’t have to eat just steamed broccoli and baked asparagus.
There’s SO many tasty options when it comes to recipes. A little bit of garlic or balsamic goes a long way when dressing up your greens. Stop fretting about what’s “typically” healthy and start experimenting! So today, I am sharing with you 5 delicious green veggie recipes I found on Pinterest and one of my own favorite asparagus recipes below.
5 Delicious Green Veggie Recipes
- Sea Salt and Garlic Kale Chips – The Busy Baker
- Broccoli Tater Tots – Primavera Kitchen
- Bacon Parmesan Green Beans – Six Sister Stuff
- Spinach Banana Peanut Butter Muffins – The Diva Dish
- Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Apples and Walnuts – Wholefully
As for my asparagus recipe – it’s so simple and takes 25 minutes to prepare and cook! All you need is asparagus, olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper, and some shaved parmesan cheese. Let me know if you give any of these a try. Those spinach banana peanut butter muffins would be a great treat to make with your kids and trick them into eating their greens.
- 2 lbs. asparagus, trimmed and halved
- 4 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 C shaved parmesan
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Snap ends off asparagus and halve. Wash.
- In a large Ziploc bag, add asparagus, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, and ground black pepper.
- Shake until asparagus is coated. Pour asparagus on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip asparagus. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over asparagus. Serve.
Fat: 6 g Carbs: 8 g Sugar: 4.4 g Protein: 4.9 g